We are hiring for a new General Manager. See job description below:
Position Title: General Manager
Application Period: November 2nd, 2020 or until position is filled
Approximate Start Date: December 1st, 2020
Company: Maple Corner Community Store
Work Location: 31 West County Road, Calais, VT
Ownership and Mission: The Maple Corner Community Store (MCCS) is a Vermont C-Corporation owned by 200 local shareholders and governed by a board of directors of 7-9 volunteers. The store’s mission is to serve as an anchor supporting the community of Calais, and surrounding community patrons where:
- The store is a place where everyone feels welcome
- The food and goods sold in the store are competitively priced
- Business revenue sustains a well-paid staff and the ongoing maintenance and improvement of infrastructure
- The Whammy Bar serves as a magnet for musical performance and other creative collaboration
- The post office continues to co-locate with the store for the long term
- The store is a center of gravity for the wider community where neighbors often connect
General Job Description: Supervises assistant manager and hourly staff. In charge of overall day to day management of the business, general upkeep of the store. Works approximately 20 hours a week in the store and bar and 20 hours a week on other management responsibilities. The store manager is supervised by the MCCS governing board who evaluates the manager based on the store’s profitability, adherence to the annual budget, and fulfillment of MCCS’ stated mission while complying with all pertinent laws and regulations.
- Manage overall store and bar budgets and revenues to maximize profitability
- Implement finance policies including:
- weekly bookkeeping
- handling store deposits
- assist board treasurer with monthly reconciliations
- Maintain store presence to provide excellent customer service to all customers.
- Ensure shelves, bins, coolers, and all displays are fully stocked, faced and rotated to ensure freshness.
- Troubleshoot customer questions and issues
- Create and manage staff policies and protocols.
- Supervise the daily work assignments of hourly staff.
- Manage staff schedule and appropriate staffing of the store, within the constraints of the approved payroll budget.
- Work with the assistant manager to place orders following established procedures with all vendors in order to maintain a consistent supply of product.
- Receive deliveries from vendors, checking carefully for quality and accuracy.
- Ensure accurate price labeling on product throughout the store.
- Oversee and maintain drink menu, including liquor and beer.
- Manage Whammy Bar music schedule including sound help.
- Maintain clean and interesting appearance in the Bar.
- Notify appropriate board or committee members, or repair services of any concerns
- Respond to facility emergencies.
Board of Directors Responsibilities
- Attend monthly board meetings.
- Inform board of all relevant store information.
- Ask board and committees for assistance and guidance whenever appropriate.
- Create and send a weekly store e-newsletter
- Maintain the store’s website and Whammy Bar facebook page.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- At least 2 years Customer Service experience.
- At least 2 years’ experience managing multiple employees and schedules.
- Ability to work well with others in a cooperative environment where teamwork and constant communication are essential.
- Ability to function as a team leader.
- Ability to provide excellent service to customers, vendors, and coworkers.
- Experience with managing budgets, margins, and inventory.
- Experience using quickbooks or other accounting software.
- Proficient writing skills.
- Social Media experience (website maintenance, facebook)
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs.
To apply please submit resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Employment Opportunities:
We are not currently hiring for other store positions, but if you are interested in future employment, please complete this form so that we can contact you when there is an opening.