We are currently hiring for the following position(s)
Position Title: General Manager
Application Period: March 2nd, 2021 or until position is filled
Approximate Start Date: March 22nd, 2021
Company: Maple Corner Community Store
Work Location: 31 West County Road, Calais, VT
Salary: $40,000-$50,000 commensurate with experience and with bonus potential
Ownership and Mission: The Maple Corner Community Store (MCCS) is a Vermont C-Corporation owned by 200 local shareholders and governed by a board of directors of 7-9 volunteers. The store’s mission is to serve as an anchor supporting the community of Calais, and surrounding community patrons where:
- The store is a place where everyone feels welcome
- The food and goods sold in the store are competitively priced
- Business revenue sustains a well-paid staff and the ongoing maintenance and improvement of infrastructure
- The Whammy Bar serves as a magnet for musical performance and other creative collaboration
- The post office continues to co-locate with the store for the long term
- The store is a center of gravity for the wider community where neighbors often connect
General Job Description: Supervises assistant manager and hourly staff. In charge of overall day to day management of the business, general upkeep of the store. The store manager is supervised by the MCCS governing board who evaluates the manager based on the store’s profitability, adherence to the annual budget, and fulfillment of MCCS’ stated mission while complying with all pertinent laws and regulations.
- Manage overall store and bar budgets and revenues to maximize profitability.
- Implement finance policies and ensure weekly deposits are made.
- Works with bookkeeper weekly to ensure checks are entered and deposits posted, and assists board treasurer with monthly reconciliations.
- Maintain store presence to provide excellent customer service to all customers.
- Ensure shelves, bins, coolers, and all displays are fully stocked, faced and rotated to ensure freshness.
- Works with outreach committee to troubleshoot customer questions and issues.
- Manage staff and implement policies and protocols.
- Manage staff schedule and appropriate staffing of the store, within the constraints of board approved payroll budget.
- Work closely with the assistant manager on management responsibilities and delegate responsibilities and tasks to assistant manager and other staff as needed.
- Work with the assistant manager to place orders following established procedures with all vendors in order to maintain a consistent supply of product.
- Receive deliveries from vendors, checking carefully for quality and accuracy.
- Ensure accurate price labeling on products throughout the store.
Whammy Bar (currently closed due to covid)
- Oversee and maintain a food and drink menu, including liquor and beer.
- Works with the Whammy committee on music schedule, sound help, and maintaining a clean and interesting appearance in the bar.
- Notify the building committee of repair services or any concerns and to respond to facility emergencies.
Board of Directors Responsibilities
- Attend board meetings and meet with board members as needed.
- Inform board of all relevant store information.
- Ask board and committees for assistance and guidance whenever appropriate.
- Work with the outreach committee to create and send a regular store e-newsletter and maintain the store’s website and Whammy Bar facebook page.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- At least 2 years Customer Service experience.
- At least 2 years’ experience managing multiple employees and schedules.
- Ability to work well with others in a cooperative environment where teamwork and constant communication are essential.
- Ability to function as a team leader.
- Ability to provide excellent service to customers, vendors, and coworkers.
- Experience with managing budgets, margins, and inventory.
- Experience using quickbooks or other accounting software.
- Proficient writing skills.
- Social Media experience (website maintenance, facebook)
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs.
To apply please submit resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org